CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Thing 11: online notetaking

I could see Awesome Highlighter having some real uses in my classroom during various research projects. It's another option for those kids who like to print off stuff from the internet and highlight it. A way to go paperless...and they won't be able to lose what they printed and hightlighted in their locker, back pack, house, bus, etc...

Earlier this school year, Travis shared a notetaking template with me that he has used . I modified it for several projects, including history day, and it worked quite well. It doesn't end plagarism, but it does force students to interact more with their sources. They need to decide WHY they are writing something down. In the case of history day, kids needed to decide if that piece of information is background information, important events, or impact that their individual made on society. I have found in the past that kids will write down anything and everything they see. These cards helped them focus on key areas.
--------------------------------------------------------------
History Day Notes

Title of Source: _______________________________

Circle one: background actions legacies

Note(s):











Page Number:
------------------------------------------------------------------------

I still struggle with kids who plagarize. As I reflect on why this is an issue, I am worried that I haven't taught them enough about it. I certainly tell them "don't plagarize" but I haven't given them the tools.

2 comments:

Bear Coz said...

Hi Sarah,

Try eNoteFile - notetaking and filing.

BC

Karen said...

Do you think we should use Awesome Highlighter for the notetaking session next year? I think it is cool, too, but it requires a browser download which is why I didn't focus on it ... but really, it may be the most useful tool. I think we're going to see this built into browsers so that it is not a separate thing ... Or maybe it is in the Google Toolbar I got rid of to make my browser smaller ... I'll have to check. Anyway, I'll click on the follow-up dot so you can just respond in your blog. Thanks!